Saturday, July 29, 2006

Mel Is No Mench

Mel Gibson director of "The Passion Of The Christ" and star of classic films such as "The Man Without A Face" and "Bird On A Wire," was arrested on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu yesterday on suspicion of drunk driving. According to Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Spokesman, Steve Whitmore, Gibson was stopped and briefly talked with the deputy. At that point the deputy smelled alcohol in the car and asked Gibson to perform a field sobriety test.

According to the police report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped and told he was to be detained for driving under the influence of alcohol. The award winning hyphenate began swearing uncontrollably, repeatedly slurring, "My life is fucked." Mel was obvioulsy worried about the career ramifications of his arrest and even threatened the police with revenge.

The story gets worse than than the ending to M. Night Shamalamadingdong's "Signs." Mel, as the police report says "then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

Ok, so he was drunk
. Wicked drunk. Everyone says stupid shit when they are drunk. Ask Gary Busey. But really, don't you think that after making a movie that basically blames the Jews for the death of Jesus, you should keep your anti-Semitic mouth shut? Kinda defeats the power of that film when put into this context doesn't it?

Today Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Gibson's next feature is called "Apocalypto," about a declining Mayan kingdom where it's rulers insist the key to prosperity is to build more temples and offer human sacrifices. Jaguar Paw, a young man chosen for sacrifice, flees the kingdom to avoid his fate.

It is not known in this telling if the Jews are responsible for the fall of the Mayan civilization. I'm Just Oy Veyin'

Here's Mel goin batty on South Park:



No comments: